Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Zion Health Beauty Review

Being vegan isn't just about eating delicious, cruelty-free meals. I mean, that's a big part. And probably the most fun part. Get a room of vegans together for more than five minutes, and I guarantee the conversation will turn to food.

But what we put onto our bodies is just as important as what we put into them. And recently, a vegan company called Zion Health asked me to review a few of their Adama line of beauty and body products. I got my choice of a few of their products — shampoos, conditioners, deodorants, soaps, etc. And since we're smack in the middle of nasty dry winter skin season, I opted for a lotion and a soap designed to heal skin wounds.

First up, the lotion. This is Zion Health's Adama Mineral Moisture Daily Lotion.


It's made with chamomile, yarrow, almond oil, and shea butter. Yarrow is said to absorb toxins and promote healing, which sounds a little hocus pocus-y, but my airy-fairy self is sort of into all that. Plus, shea butter. Am I right? Nothing does winter skin better than shea butter. And the lotion is scented with grapefruit peel extract, so it leaves you smelling all citrus-y.

So how did it work? I applied this lotion all over after showering every day for a month. Usually, by mid-winter, I get itchy, dry spots on my legs. Specifically my left shin. There's one patch of skin that breaks out into a desert every winter. And since I've been using this for most of the winter, I haven't had any dry skin on my legs! None! I honestly didn't believe it could work that well because I've tried everything in the past. But this works.

Next up, the Blue Sky Ancient Clay Natural Soap.


Here's what the bar looks like.


This soap is made with Montmorillonite Clay and pineapple essential oils. This type of mineral clay was supposedly used by ancient cultures to heal wounds and skin ailments. Again, sounds a little new age-y. But it couldn't hurt to try. I don't have wounds, but I figured if this stuff could heal, it could also be good for dry skin. I've been using this for the same amount of time as the lotion, and like I said, no dry skin. Also, I love that the soap has bits of coconut in it that act as a body scrub.

Zion Health also sent me a few samples of their Claybrite Natural Toothpaste.


This is also made with Montmorillonite Clay, and it has a similar brown color to the soap. Definitely not the usual Tom's white toothpaste I'm used to. But this stuff is awesome. It has a natural mint flavor, and my teeth just felt super-clean after using it. They say that calcium in the clay helps prevent cavities, whitens teeth, and helps to heal early stages of gum disease. I do have receding gums due to years of brushing too hard, so I should probably order a big tube of this and give it a try!

5 comments:

Adriana Robles said...

My skin starts to lightly peel during the winter, mainly around my nose area. But more than anything, I do need a new toothpaste. Every toothpaste I've used (including sensitive ones) peel my cheeks from the inside of my mouth. >_<

Vegetarian Courtesy

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

PERFECT timing because I'm looking for a new moisturizer!

Tab said...

I am curious if you ever posted the "Come Dine with Me" videos...if so, where can I find them? :)

Bianca said...

Hi Tab! Not yet! But they are coming soon. Our friends Joey and Megan are about halfway through the editing process, and we're actually filming the winner reveal episode this Sunday! I will keep y'all posted!

Reese said...

I'm currently searching for product for my dry skin, tested few products but seems ineffective. Maybe should give this a try.