Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Choosing Raw, Day 13

Another fabulous day on the Choosing Raw Challenge! For 21 days, I'm eating a mostly raw/partially cooked diet from Gena Hamshaw's Choosing Raw cookbook.

This morning started off with a short, indoor cross-training workout at home — 10 minutes on the squat machine, 10 minutes of resistance band and free weight arm stuff, five minutes of abs, and skosh of yoga. Then I had Avocado Toast!! This time, I spread a thin layer of Marmite under the avocado and topped with hot sauce and black pepper. Marmite and avocado were made for each other!


My morning snack was more Sweet 'n' Savory Trail Mix (roasted chickpeas, raw almonds, and raisins). I made a ton of this stuff, so I've been eating it a lot lately.

Lunch was last night's Raw Ratatouille served on a bed of romaine, which was tossed with herbs de provence dressing. And the whole salad is sprinkled with nooch because nooch. I really loved this ratatouille. It was so flavorful, and I thought it was equally good served cold on a salad today as it was served warm over quinoa last night.


In the afternoon, I snacked on a Pink Lady Apple (my fave!) with Love Bean's Sea Salt Caramel sauce. I'll be doing a full review of Love Bean after the cleanse, but man, this stuff!! I forgot how great apples and caramel were together. It's been so long!! And this caramel is made with really clean stuff like coconut milk, pureed coconut, and coconut sugar.


Dinner was a quick and easy new dish from Gena's book — Pumpkin Quinoa Risotto with Pomegranate Seeds.


Risotto can be such a pain to make, all that stirring. Ugh. But this quickie version is made with healthy quinoa and doesn't require any standing over the stove time. The pom seeds add a lovely twangy bite. Who knew that pumpkin and pomegranate would complement one another so well?

On the side, I had a bowl of Steamed Collards, which I tossed with Bragg's, Liquid Smoke, and hot sauce for a quick and healthy spin on slow-cooked Southern-style collards.


I had a small square of the Raw Girls Dark Chocolate & Almond Butter Ganache for dessert!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Avocado and -vegimite for me- marmite are meant to be together, pink lady's are my favorite too. All the recipe's you've made from Gena's book look/sound delicious :)

Susan said...

I love avocado and vegemite on toast, I also put tomato on top and have it for my pre-work breakfast. It is such a great combination. :D